Tuesday, April 6, 2010

American Historical Association (AHA)'s can of worms

As mentioned Munin mentioned this week, the outlook for history nerds is bleak. However, I must also agree with his assessment of the graph that it encompasses all history major fields and not just Korean or Asian history. Therefore, one must wonder just how bad the market is for such niche market historians?

As I mentioned earlier, I would ideally like to work a job that has something to do with my field. I don't hate my job by any means but it isn't helping me get to my goal any faster. In fact, it's pretty much doing nothing other than paying the bills.

Enter the American Historical Association. They have published a few books on possible careers for students of history as well as the steps necessary to get to where you want to be. Score one for the home team. To view free online versions, kindly follow the link. For the Canadian version of Becoming a Historian, click here for html or here for the pdf. Of course, print versions are available for purchase.

UPDATE: after perusing the AHA site, I have officially opened up a can of worms. Got my attention here and here and here and here and here for the moment. There's way too much to read and write about in just one post. Consider this to be continued while I go have a happiness meltdown. Till then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;